There are as many as 12 manual patient transfers techniques that can be used safely and easily. When choosing safe patient transfers for your patient, consider the following:
- The condition and knowledge of the transfer assistant
- Upper extremity strength of the patient
- Patient’s height and weight
- Ability of patient to cooperate and understand instructions
- Any wounds, tubes or special appliances
- Any physical therapy instructions for transfers.
Also, since many patients can be a little heavier than you are who are heavier than yourself, can be transferred manually safely and with ease assuming you have the proper training and tools. The transfer tools that are available to help you today to make patient transfers safe and easy include at a minimum a gait belt, slide board, vest, and even swivel devices (like our Swivel).
Mr Swivel is an expert in helping caregivers the tools and training to provide safe and easy patient transfers.